an attempt at making lemonade (figuratively)

Like everyone else, I'm tired. This has been exacerbated by the fact that I am taking 18 credits this semester. I didn't think those extra two credits would add that much strain to my routine but they do! I have to meet with a group for that class every week and do a ridiculous amount of reading. In addition to my struggles at school, I have to deal with the fact that my 62 year old alcoholic father has tantrums similar to that of a toddler every day. I could go on forever about my issues with him but my therapist says that it's not good for my mental health to dwell on it. So, I'm going to attempt to brighten my mood by writing about the positive things going on in my life. 

My two year anniversary with my boyfriend is coming up on Tuesday, which is Halloween. I love having our anniversary then because Halloween is a really fun holiday, mostly because it involves free treats. Even though I generally dislike children, I do like seeing them dress up in cute costumes. I also like the fact that it is on the 31st because my birthday is August 31st. The best part, though, is simply the fact that our anniversary is in the fall, undoubtedly the superior season. I didn't plan for this to be our anniversary in advance but I am the reason that it happened on that particular day. On October 30th, 2021, a mutual friend of my boyfriend and I had a Halloween party. It was at this function that we both made our feelings for each other 100% clear but were not yet dating. Usually, kids my age will take a month or so to be in this phase where they're a "thing". They haven't put the label of girlfriend and boyfriend on the relationship but everyone knows that they're together. I happen to be impatient, though. So, the next day, I asked him point blank when he was going to ask me out. He decided to do it right then and that is how Halloween became our anniversary. 

Another positive occurrence in my life is my history class. I enjoy the class itself, but I enjoy my grade in it more. The 95 I have in that class is a highpoint of this semester. I am particularly proud of it because I think that it is one of the highest grades in the class. This is because my professor told the class that a 95 was the highest grade on the midterm and only two people received that score. I happen to be one of those two people. I also got a 95 on the two essays we have had so far and based on the people who sit around me, that was the highest score as well. This score feels like particularly high praise coming from a professor who went to Yale for undergrad. Plus, it is reassuring to know that choosing to add a history major literally just for fun was not a terrible idea, at least GPA wise. 

Genuinely, I do feel a bit rejuvenated by thinking about the nice parts of my life. I'm not sure how to conclude so I will leave with this: Try to pay more attention to the good than the bad so that small inconveniences don't over shadow small wins. Okay, that's all. 




Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing, Peyton. You're a generous and thoughtful writer. You are dealing with a lot, so focusing on the positive is a great idea! Therapy for the challenges is also wise. Keep going!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts