the library

This week's prompt is to blog about what I learned about the library. Well, I already knew almost everything that was shared, considering I already took CARD 102 and we did the same thing in that class. However, I didn't know about the new program to alleviate book costs by allowing students to check out textbooks from any 100 or 200 level class for 2 hours at a time. I think this is a great idea since books are absurdly expensive, but I don't think I'll be using it much since I pirate almost every textbook. The only deviation from my crime is for the textbooks that come with online software that you have to use for homework. I know the old adage that "Piracy is not a victimless crime" but I feel better about saving $100 on a textbook, where there is an opportunity I'll never read it after the first month of class, than I feel bad about the prospect of some distant scholar losing revenue. Besides, there are a lot of, dare I say, schmucks that don't realize how easy it is to find a free pdf somewhere and are paying my share for me. Is this ethical? Perhaps not. But neither is the world we live in.

Other than that, I really don't have much to say. I could write about all of the drama in college football right now, but Dr. Kyburz, you don't seem to be the type of person to be into it. So, I don't want to go on a rant when my preaching about the idiocy of the University of Michigan staff and the foul nature of the University of Tennessee fanbase will fall on deaf ears. I could also write about my endless love for the American chain restaurant Texas Roadhouse, but once again, I don't think that my audience is right.

Instead, I will write about the other subject that has been taking up space in my head today: Brussels. My sister and I are going to Brussels, Belgium for spring break. I am incredibly excited because it is my first time travelling abroad (besides Canada) since 2019. As a lover of history with a lifelong passion for WWII history in particular, I love being able to visit places of historical significance and broaden my understanding of concepts I already knew or, better yet, learn about niche, specific events that I have never heard of before. So, I'm going to share my favorite one of those instances. One of the cities I visited in 2019 was Prague. It is a beautiful city, but not usually at the top of one's mind when they think of WWII history. However, it was in Prague that I learned about one of my favorite stories of WWII and had the best tour of the entire trip. I honestly don't think that I can do it justice, so I recommend to either read about Operation Anthropoid, the subject of the tour, on Wikipedia or watch the movie Anthropoid, which is a very accurate depiction besides the love story aspect (I abhor when they do that). The movie stars Cillian Murphy and Jamie Dornan, two wonderful Irish actors who are quite easy on the eyes, which is yet another reason to watch it. To give an extremely abbreviated description, it involves two Czech resistance fighters and the highest ranking Nazi assassination of the entire war.

Wow, that was quite removed from the library. I never know how to end these. So all I'm going to leave with is that I really, really highly recommened either reading about it or watching the movie.

Comments

Popular Posts